Thursday, 16 July 2009

Hollerin' the rinsin' sound: New Pictureplane!

Back in June 2008 we wrote about this amazing electro grime chap we’d just discovered in HEALTH’s top friends. Travis Egedy, aka Pictureplane, had self-released this ace album called Turquoise Trail, he’d remixed the likes of Crystal Castles and HEALTH and he ran a DIY art space/gig venue, which was also his home, called Rhinoceropolis in Denver, Colorado. Naturally he was our hero and we pulled him tight to our collective bosom, naming him our favourite artist of 2008.

Since then he’s toured the States in support of HEALTH, which he’s about to do again (in the U.S. and Europe), and signed to the same label, Lovepump United. His first LP release with Lovepump,
Dark Rift, is out on 4 August and showcases more of that killer amalgamation of 80s pop, 90s dance and 00s grime, shot through with complete gay abandon. I highly recommend you buy it. We caught up with a super excited Travis for a quick bit of Q&A:

Dark Rift
“I think people will enjoy it. The record has more of a 'dark' sound to it, I was listening to a lot of grime and funky while I made it.
Dark Rift is a conceptual album (is that a bad word?) about galactic alignment, and the position of our earth travelling through the centre most point of our galaxy in the next few years. Otherwise known as the galactic centre, or the DARK RIFT. I can talk for days about this stuff, but if you are interested just start googling, it’s fascinating stuff.”

Mainstream media attention
“I really try to not think to hard about that kinda thing (see Pitchfork's words). It can distract you from what is really important, which is the art. It is nice for sure, I would be lying if I said I didn’t use to daydream about shit like that. I still daydream about being in The FADER magazine. FADER, where you at??”

Touring with HEALTH
"We get along really well. I love those guys, they’re really down to earth regular bro dudes! I think the dynamic of our sound, while being totally different, really works well together in a live setting. They would call me the party starter. I was like a hype man or something before their sets, getting the kids ready to freak out. It meshed really well. I can’t wait to get out on the road with them again. Kombucha, splash.”

UK autumn visit plans
"I don't know the dates for sure yet. I have never been outside of the USA before. I am terribly excited; I know that I will fall in love with it out there. I have heard that vegetables are hard to come by out there, and that makes me nervous haha. I want to go clubbing while I am there, is that even what you call it there? Raving? DANCING! See you soon!”

Some blogs have been erroneously promoting some of Travis’ old songs, from the distortion friendly Slit Red Bird Throat LP, as new material. For shame. This is the real stuff right here...

Pictureplane – ‘Transparent now (thin veil)’.mp3 (YSI)

Pictureplane – ‘Goth star’.mp3 (YSI)

myspace.com/pictureplane

>>>Update: Pictureplane will be playing with HEALTH at the Deaf Institute on 7 October 2009.

Words: SS

No comments: