Sunday, 21 December 2008

Dispatches from the West Coast - pt. 1


We asked Simon L (on the right) - one third of Dalston synth punks, Teeth!!! - to keep us updated on his travels and the band's forthcoming tour in Portland and California. Prepare yourself for one hell of a diary...

Day 1

LA is a big sprawling city. Hollywood sign, check. The people at the airport sounded exactly like they were in The Terminator or some other sci-fi LA movie. We are staying just off Sunset Blvd. We already ate "real West Coast-Mexican food" and checked out the superb Wildness where the awesome Wendy Yao from Ooga Booga [Store] was DJ-ing. Wildness is run by this ridiculously rad person called Ashley, he is totally in love with my friend Oscar and he makes films about lesbian strip bars called 'Shakedown'. He also makes limited edition t-shirts of Beyonce (he gave me one!!!) and other crazy awesome stuff.

Afterward we went to Taco Zone and the tall, gay looking one [John] from HEALTH was there. Today we're trying to fix shows in Olympia, CA for NYE and we just got a show at DUNES in Portland. I feel that I'm going to know everyone in the city before I leave.

Day 2
Last night Juan from Abe Vigoda [on the right of pic] and I went downtown and hooked up with the guitar player from Mika Miko (I'm so bad at names) we drank $2.50 margaritas at this most awesome mexican bar with a bunch of other people then onto this ridiculous gay bar in Hyperion. It was emptyyyy. We picked up Oscar and Sister Mantos and went to this fucking awesome leather bar (no one was there) and drank $2 pints of Budweiser.

So by this time I was hitting on Yutaro [on the left of pic], this totally hot skinny dude half L.A., half Japanese. We all went to the sauna - yes yes yes...outdoor jacuzzi, outdoor swimming!!! After funs swimming around til maybe 3am me and Yutaro toats made out forever. It was hot. I think I'm in love.

Day 3

Finally the sun has come out so we're heading to the beach. Juan is coming over later and we're gonna make a side project together with Sister Mantos called NEGATIVE CHARMS. I'm slowly learning that that's what a lot of people do in LA, be in loads of bands, smoke pot, drink, drive everywhere - if you don't have a car you're fucked. So, I hope I see Yutaro again. I'm obsessing already...I sent two text messages. Fuuck.

Hung out hung-over at Malibu...we went to the beach and sun bathed for a few hours then headed back. I waited for Yutaro to call but he didn't. Whateverrr. Tonight I'm gonna party again!!! Hopefully with Juan & co., I wanna hang with those kids more, they're awesome fags...we're going to a party called Shits & Giggles, it's a gay house/dance music party and sounds ridiculous.

We saw this awesome funny band called Spider Problem and then hooked up with Yutaro and Scott. It was super weird...we went to Shits & Giggles it sucked, left and then went to Scott's place. We made out, but it sucked.

Day 4

I'm meeting up with Juan later and we're heading to the fat girl's house from Mika Miko as she's having a birthday party. Yutaro will be there, I'm gonna tell him I love him for realz. I so fucking want a holiday romance.

Well I’ve completely lost weather this is day 4 or not as everyday brings new challenges. We went to this ridiculous sports bar, Big Wangs, and got Bud & chips, then we went to Spotlight, this ridiculous gay bar off Vine and Hollywood, with free snacks with beer. SO STOOPID!!! and rad all at the same time,... when we got there these super dudes (serious the faggots are fucking real gangsters) tried starting something because I was wearing Kurt Cobain sunglasses...whatever!

This afternoon we went over to hang out with Tom Grimley (my best time in LA so far!!!), this guy lives in this awesome house just off Vine and St. Monica with a real American porch. Tom is most noted for owning Poop Alley Studios in LA and producing early Beck records as well as building a tower in his back yard three storeys high so he can watch the sun come up and down, whilst drinking beer.


We went to the store in his Beatle - circa 80s - then came back and listened to noise music and watched the fire burn - everything felt so pure. Tom Grimley - ALWAYS AND FOREVER, THE GODFATHER OF ALL L.A. (who knows every fucking awesome band ever)...and I’m sharing super secret knowledge that only he told me…

Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
His first album. LISTEN AND LEARN…and before you all fucking hate, you should read his
Wiki. Above all, this misrepresented, song manipulated singer-songwriter not only deserves your respect but also your fucking brain time... if there is one album you should revisit - or visit the first time it should be that one.

ALSO
The one thing I’ve learnt is ALWAYS START AT NOISE. If you start a band make it a noise band, so then your fucking completely untouchable by anyone... until I guess you’re figured out. I guess that’s how I feel Teeth!!! should be... but I simply explained.. I’m in it for the ride... if it all happens it happens.... if it doesn’t whuuuteverr.

Ok, so now I’m back from the party. After we went to tom's house and finished the beers, we went to Taco and laughed at Santa, he’s a total paedo. One of the girls from Mika Miko (I’m soooo bad at names, but if you’re reading this I LOVE YOU) was telling everyone about me and her crowd surfing at their Upset the Rhythm show... she said it was the first time that’s happened (sometimes I’m so proud of London). Anyways, Yutaro was there and we made out in her room, a lil bit, and we decided to meet tomorrow!

Peece.


Teeth!!! - 'Dead boys'.mp3


myspace.com/teethdance

No comments: